News & Alerts
Due to check-in and orientation programming, there will be no ISSA Quick Question Advising until Friday, September 4.
- F-1 students with an approved STEM extension of optional practical training (OPT) remain eligible to work despite a recent federal court order.
more information >
- NEW: Effective May 26, 2015, spouses in H-4 status (but not dependent children) will become eligible for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) as soon as the primary status holder in H-1B status meets one of the following two criteria. The H-1B status holder
- Is the beneficiary of an approved Form I-140 (Immigrant Petition), or
- Has been granted an extension of his or her H-1B status beyond the standard six-year limit of H-1B eligibility, based on a pending employment-based green card application.
As a result of this expansion of eligibility, many more individuals in H-4 status will be able to apply for an EAD, and will be able to benefit much earlier in the green card process.
Before submitting an application for an EAD (Form I-765), please be sure to review the section of our website on EAD applications for individuals in H-4 status as well as USCIS's website dedicated to the new H-4 EAD rule as well as a list of FAQs. Note that USCIS releases a new Form I-765 (dated 2/13/15) on 5/22/15. Be sure to use the latest version of the form.
- Attention F-1 students applying for CPT! Please use the new Academic/Faculty Advisor Recommendation Form for CPT. The old form is no longer being accepted.
- Nonresidents for U.S. tax purposes may wait up to six months for tax refunds. more information >
Study, Work, Travel Abroad
- To view the Education Abroad Office's current open advising hours or to make an appointment, please click here.
- Find out what's going on in study, work, and travel abroad by following the Education Abroad Office's blog, MGoAbroad.
more information >
- Effective January 29, 2013, the Visa and Immigration Section at the Canadian Consulate General in Detroit is closed. Follow these directions to apply for temporary resident (visitor) visas.