home | health insurance | the international insurance plan is changing
The International Insurance Plan is Changing
This year, University was required to make changes to the international student/scholar health insurance plan to comply with the U.S. Affordable Care Act. These changes will take effect on September 1, 2014. A summary of these changes is below. For more information, see the 2014 - 2015 Plan Design and Benefits Summary (International) and the 2014 - 2015 Plan Guide (International) . Once the new plan is in effect, the health insurance section of the International Center’s website will be updated.
Here is a summary of the changes:
- Current plan: $50 dollar per condition deductible unless you are treated at or referred by University Health Service, Packard Health (scholars, dependents) or East Ann Arbor Health Center (children).
- New plan:
- You can choose where to be treated, but remember:
- Save money by choosing an in-network health care provider. In-network (also called preferred care) = doctors and other health care providers who have joined the insurance company’s network.
- Enrolled students can receive many services free of charge at University Health Service
- Annual deductible: $100. Annual deductible = what you must pay each policy year (September 1 – August 31) before insurance starts to cover costs.
- The annual deductible does not apply to some services. For example: immunizations, Emergency Room, routine physical exam, prescription drugs
- Office visits and hospital admissions have co-pays. Co-pay = what you pay, then insurance covers the rest.
- Office visit/walk-in clinic/urgent care clinic: $20 co-pay
- Emergency Room: $75 co-pay (waived if admitted)
- Hospital Room/Board/Miscellaneous Expense: $150 co-pay per hospital admission
- For most other “in network” medical services insurance pays 90%.
- Insurance also pays 90% in-network for prescription drugs. Pharmacies at University Health Service at the University of Michigan Health System are in-network. Find other in-network pharmacies at http://www.aetna.com/docfind/custom/studenthealth/index.html
- Current Plan: eye exam covered at UHS with a $15 co-pay
- New plan:
- Eye exam covered anywhere in-network with a $20 co-pay.
- Additional dental and vision benefits through age 18
Last reviewed: 08/14