University of Michigan
International Center

home | immigration & visas | visa categories for u-m faculty and staff

Visa Categories for U-M Faculty and Staff

University of Michigan departments may sponsor faculty and staff for the following types of visas. Each visa type has specific requirements that must be met to ensure compliance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations.

If you have questions about a specific visa type or are unsure which visa type is appropriate for your department's hiring situation, contact the U-M International Center at 734.763.4081 or

Comparison of U-M faculty and staff visa types pdf icon.
J-1J-1 Exchange Visitor (Authorized Use Only)
H-1B Temporary Worker in a Specialty Occupation
PRPermanent Residency (“green card”)
B-1/B-2 Business or Pleasure Visitors
TNNorth American Free Trade Agreement for Canadian and Mexican Citizens
O-1 Aliens of Extraordinary Ability
E-3 Australian Temporary Worker in Specialty Occupation

Some visa petitions are prepared by the U-M International Center, while others are prepared by external attorneys retained by U-M. For information on which organization will prepare a particular visa petition, refer to the latest Fee Schedule for Employment-Based Visas pdf icon

Last reviewed: 9/08