home | study, work, travel | travel abroad basics | student travel agencies
STA Travel: a Student Travel Agency
Student travel agencies provide International Student Identification Cards (ISIC) which offer discounts and specials for student travelers. Travel agents help students find opportunities and special rates for future travel. Student travel agencies specialize in travel opportunities and discounts for student travelers. Even in the age of the internet, it can be useful to speak to an agent at an actual travel agency. There is no charge to visit or call a travel agent. Some questions to ask your travel agent:
- Does flying into or out of a different city (near my intended destination) make a difference in cost?
- Are there lower fares on certain days of the week?
- Is there a price difference between direct flights vs. flights with layovers?
- Are there flights with free layovers?
- Does length of stay matter? (even a few days can make a difference)
- Does the date make a difference? (the cost of flights usually varies greatly depending on the time of the year, known to travel agents as low, shoulder and high seasons)
- How soon do I have to pay to lock in this particular fare?
- Are student/youth/faculty discounts available?
- Does the cost of airfare differ for arriving in one overseas city and departing from another? (e.g. flying into London and out of Rome).
Low cost fares are available for students, teachers, youth under age 26 and young children with purchase the appropriate ID card. Applications for the International Student ID Card, Teacher ID Card, and Youth ID Card are available at the U-M International Center. For more information, see our web page International Student ID Cards.
STA Travel specializes in student travel.
STA Travel can help with:
STA Travel can assist with booking low-cost airfare, including student discounts on plane tickets which have low fees for flight changes and cancellations.
- Airfare Deposit Program for Financial Aid Students
You can lock in your student ticket price as early as you need with a non-refundable deposit of $300, which locks in the price. Your balance is then due 7 days before departure.
- Rail and Bus Passes
STA Travel's rail and bus passes allow you to explore multiple countries at your own pace. Most are issued right on the spot in the Union, so you can leave the office with your pass in hand!
- Global Cell Phones
Take one with you overseas for as low as $59. Phones work in more than 130 countries.
- ISIC Cards
The International Student ID Card (ISIC) is the only card that provides international recognition of your status as a full-time college student. This card enables you to receive discounts on STA Travel airfares, currency exchange, parking, hotels, transportation, as well as locally.
- Culture and Adventure Trips
Small group, large group, or independent travel is available for flexible amounts of time. Experiences for all types of travelers, from exploring to volunteering.
- Travel Insurance
Policies starting at $5/day. If you get sick, lose your bags, or your trip is cancelled--you won't lose all your money.
- Weekend and Day Tours
Experience weekend- or day-long local adventures.
Last reviewed: 05/14