home | study, work, travel | work abroad | international job listings
International Job Listings
* Denote a highly recommended resource.
Web sites mentioned on this page list mainly career positions, most of which require previous experience. These sites rarely include listings of exchange programs for work abroad, internships, volunteering or teaching abroad of most relevance to students and recent graduates.
Resources for UM students
- * The BIG Guide to Living and Working Overseas/My World Abroad (Registration with a U-M email address is required)
- This online resource provides comprehensive and up-to-date guides for work abroad and international careers. Profiles organizations based mainly in Canada and the U.S. International job listings are also available.
- Going Global (U-M authentication required)
- Website offers employment guides to specific countries and has job listings.
International Job Listing Websites
- Campus Career Center
- Students must register (free) to access job listings. Search can be restricted to international jobs, as well as to jobs which provide visa assistance. Most positions require previous experience.
- Search hundreds of international job opportunities by field or country. Virtually all jobs require previous experience. Most jobs are in engineering and business.
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Job listings for academicians. Most positions require a Ph.D. or professional degree. Much of site accessible only to subscribers.
- * Dave's E.S.L. Cafe, E.S.L. Cafe's Web Guide, E.S.L. Cafe's Web Guide: Jobs
- Information about teaching abroad and other types of working abroad, and living abroad. Site links to hundreds of job databases of particular interest to teachers, college students and liberal arts graduates.
- * Escape Artist, Escape from America Overseas Jobs Pages
- Site links to hundreds of job bank sites listed by country and region. Offers other useful information for anyone working, studying or living abroad.
- * Foreign Policy Association
- Search in the Global Job Board using "internship", "volunteer" or "job", or view positions according to type of policy work.
- International Career Employment Center
- Publishes two of the best listings of international jobs, International Career Employment Opportunities (weekly) and International Employment Hotline. Subscriptions are available to receive announcements by e-mail.
- * NACE- (National Association of Colleges and Employers)
- Online magazine. One of the more useful sites for college students and recent graduates; links to campus career centers. Recommended for college students and recent graduates.
- Monster’s site for university students includes internship listings and information on international careers.
- Overseas Jobs Express
- Site lists jobs that are open to non-citizens of the target country. It has databases of career positions for specific countries or regions.
- Peace Corps Career Resources
- National Peace Corps website useful for international career resources of general interest. See UM’s Peace Corps website for other international work and career opportunities.
- * The Riley Guide: Resources for International Job Opportunities
- Classic guide provides an excellent country-by-country compilation of employment resources on the web.
- * U.S. Department of State: About State Department
- Links under the Employment section for internship and career opportunities in U.S. government international diplomacy with the State Department, other U.S. government agencies, and international organizations.
- * University of Texas at Austin: International Jobs
- Provide an overview of international careers and how to plan for one, as well as provide profession-specific and region-specific resources.
- * University of Wisconsin-Madison: Go Global! The International Careers Website
- An outstanding university-based website with discussions on internships and international careers.
- Women In International Security (W.I.I.S.)
- W.I.I.S. provides resources for women who are interested in careers in international security. Job announcements via e-mail are available to members.
Other Important Resources
- Impact Publications
- Publishing company that carries books on working abroad and international careers. (Click International under Special Collections).
- I.R.S. Tax Information for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad
- Essential tax information from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service for anyone working.
Last reviewed: 02/13