home | study, work, travel | work abroad | um-based programs | miisp | health & safety
MIISP Health & Safety
MIISP is dedicated to helping you enjoy a safe and healthy overseas experience. Here are just a few of the resources and support services we provide for our program participants:
- UM-HTH Travel Abroad Health Insurance is required of all MIISP participants while abroad.
- All MIISP participants will be required to register their itinerary in the U-M Travel Registry to facilitate communication in the event of an emergency.
- All MIISP participants will be required to register with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to keep them connected with the local embassy.
- Participants are required to attend pre-departure orientation that addresses health concerns, medications, personal safety, and common sense travel.
- All students have 24/7 emergency contacts for the MIISP administrators.
- Our staff members regularly monitor international travel advisories and current events in our program locations to keep students informed of relevant health or security issues.
- MIISP follows campus-wide emergency procedures and works closely with students and family members to address medical or other types of emergencies that may arise overseas. MIISP participants will be required to be in compliance with U-M’s travel abroad policies.
- Individual advising sessions are available for students with specific health or travel concerns.
Take advantage of these resources! While MIISP staff members are here to provide assistance, your individual preparation and personal choices overseas have the greatest impact on your well-being. Research your host country and become familiar with health issues, environmental conditions or local customs that may affect your stay abroad. See Health and Safety for further information.
Last reviewed: 06/15