Certified and Experienced Teachers: University Level Teaching Abroad

Nearly all these positions require a Ph.D. (or at least “ABD”) or other advanced professional degree.

Fulbright Scholar Program

Council for International Exchange of Scholars Fulbright Scholar Program
Provides grants for college and university faculty as well as professionals and independent scholars to support an academic year of teaching and/or research overseas. Very early application deadlines. Grants also available for international education administrators.

Teaching for Study Abroad Programs

This is generally a tough market since U.S.-sponsored programs tend to use home-campus faculty or to hire local professors.

Special Placement Programs

Many of the organizations listed in Teaching Abroad Without Certification can offer university-level positions for those who are qualified. The required credential is a PhD or advanced degree; K-12 certification is irrelevant here.

  • International Scholars Fellowship Program of the Open Society Institute
    The International Scholars Fellowship Program selects highly qualified scholars from the social sciences and humanities to teach and/or consult at partner universities in South Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union (excluding the Baltic states), and Mongolia. Curriculum development and academic planning are two of the most important roles of the scholars. Applicants should possess a PhD or the highest degree available in their field and be well-established in academics. Recent degree recipients will not be considered. See website for application information.
  • Colorado China Council
    Places individuals with bachelor's to doctorate degrees into teaching positions in Chinese in universities and secondary schools for the academic year (August-June). Teachers/instructors will be asked to give classes in spoken English focusing on English, history and sometimes business, IT or law.. No Chinese is necessary. Program charges a fee. Orientation - including Chinese language training, Housing, health insurance, and stipend paid are included; you pay round-trip airfare. Application deadline is March 1st.

Specialized University-Level Teaching

City University
Sends experienced instructors to City University's branches in Bratislava and Trencin, Slovakia, as well as Australia, Canada, China, the Czech Republic, Greece, Mexico, Romania, and Switzerland to teach in one or more of the following areas: academic prep English, undergraduate business, and MBA programs. Master’s degree or higher in subject area preferred. Airfare, stipend, housing, and health insurance provided. Rolling admissions.

Regular Faculty Positions Abroad

See standard academic job listings such as the following: