The International Center's 2017 Summer Orientation will be held from Monday, August 14 through Friday, September 1. The International Center hires Orientation Peer Advisers (graduate and undergraduate students) to assist with the Summer Orientation. This is an opportunity to assist incoming international students. In the process you can expect to improve your presentation and communication skills, work with a team, help new international students ease the transition to a new environment, have fun, make some new friends, and be paid too. It's also your chance to tell new international students all the things you wish you had known when you first came to U-M.
To be eligible, you must be an international student in a U-M degree program who will continue as a U-M student in the Fall Term. International alumni who have already graduated are not eligible to apply.
Most orientation work will take place during August/early September, but peer advisors will also be required to attend some meetings and training sessions before Orientation and a post-Orientation debriefing meeting.
Training will be provided for the peer advisers. Peer advisers are expected to attend both trainings (tentative: Monday, May 1st 9am~12pm AND Friday, August 11th 9am~12pm).
Peer advisers are also expected to attend the post-Orientation debriefing meeting will be on Friday, September 1st in the afternoon.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Greet and welcome new international students and scholars, and provide information about Orientation workshops, social events, International Center services, and U-M and Ann Arbor services and resources.
- Speak to small groups of international students about topics related to getting started and getting settled at U-M, including M-Cards, banking, transportation, housing, cell phones, driver’s licenses, social security numbers, etc.
- Prepare for and lead/co-lead some orientation workshops, including advance meetings with workshop presenters (usually International Center staff and/peer advisor). Workshop assignment for peer advisers will be assessed based on your qualifications and experiences.
- Plan and lead informal social events for new students and scholars.
- Contribute to the International Center blog with posts describing your personal experiences making the initial adjustment to U-M and the U.S., living and studying here, etc.
- Share your experiences and suggestions with International Center staff as they develop and implement programs for Orientation and beyond to ensure that programs meet the interest and needs of international students.
- As needed, share your experiences and suggestions with International Center who are preparing or editing information for new international students.
- As needed, escort new students to orientation workshop locations at various places on campus.
- Very reliable and punctual. Able to meet the time commitments for this position.
- Excellent listening, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Very comfortable speaking in front of a group of students or scholars and answering questions.
- Very familiar with U-M, U-M services, and Ann Arbor.
- Comfortable talking about your own experiences and the adjustments you had to make when you came to U-M and to the U.S.
- Strong teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Able to take initiative and work independently.
- Enjoy working with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
Compensation, Work Schedule and Locations
Between August 14th and September 1st, Peer Advisors will receive $10~$12/hour and are anticipated to work around 20 hours per week. Housing is not provided for peer advisers.
Most work will take place between 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., although some evening or weekend work will be required.
Application Process and Deadline
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and acceptance priority will be given to students who have not been a peer advisor previously. Qualified candidates will be invited for an in-person interview. Submit the application by Sunday, March 19 at 11pm.
Questions? Contact the International Center at email@example.com