Summer 2020 Events in China have been cancelled due to CDC travel guidance. Please look at the resources at the bottom of the page to review the information presented in 2019. We hope to continue this program in China in 2021.
The University of Michigan (U-M) International Center is excited to meet incoming international students during one of our Pre-Departure Orientation Programs in China. These free events will be in Beijing (June 15) and Shanghai (June 22) and are open to incoming U-M students who currently lives in China and will be beginning their undergraduate or certain master's degree program Fall 2019. Master's degree students who are eligible to attend will be invited via email.
To sign up for an orientation event, admitted students must have paid their enrollment deposit and set up their U-M uniqname and password. Students can only attend one Pre-Departure Orientation event.
Students may bring up to two family members/friends to join them in Beijing
Students may bring up to two family members/friends to join them in Shanghai
The U-M International Center has invited representatives from the Chinese Student and Scholar Association (CSSA) to attend the event, as well as several other current U-M Chinese students and alumni to participate on panels and answer questions throughout the event.
The China Pre-Departure Orientations are designed to help students and their family members gain valuable information about the University of Michigan, which will include, but is not limited to:
- Traveling to the United States
- Immigration/Visa Information
- Health Insurance and Wellness Services
- Housing Information
- Banking Information
- Cultural Adjustment Tips
- Tips for Academic Success
- Job/Internship information
This Pre-Departure Orientation is an optional addition to the orientation requirement for new undergraduate students. International undergraduate students should still sign up for International Student Orientation through the Office of New Student Programs August 26-30, 2019.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you in Beijing and Shanghai!
- College of Engineering Advising Center FAQs
- LSA Newnan Academic Advising Center FAQs
- MPals: a peer-to-peer pen-pal initiative. Incoming international undergraduate students will be matched with current students at the University of Michigan. Sign up here.
- Immunization: Immunizations are recommended to protect your health and the health of others, but they are not required by the University or the U.S. government.
- CSSA New Student Guide