Use this form if you are a continuing U-M student AND if you
- Have been out of the US for more than 5 months and need a new I-20 to re-enter the U.S.
- Need to regain F-1 status through reinstatement or travel
- Are a continuing student changing status to F-1
- Are a continuing student who will be transferring back to U-M after a short absence
- Are a continuing Canadian commuter student
Attention LSA undergraduate students who have been away for 2 or more years! Before submitting this form to the IC, you must complete the LSA Academic Advising Center's “Application for Reactivation” and obtain confirmation of reactivation.
Do NOT use this form if you are
- A new student
- A continuing student being admitted to a new program at U-M
If either of the above applies to you, please contact your admitting department for a new I-20.
Important notes. Please read.
- If you have been overseas for more than 5 months or your reinstatement has been denied:
- You must apply for a new F-1 visa, even if it appears that your F-1 visa is valid. Please plan for additional time to receive the I-20, apply for an F-1 visa, and enter the U.S. before your anticipated start date.
- Your new F-1 status begins when you return regardless of how long you were in F-1 status previously. This may have an impact on your employment eligibility for practical training.
- You may enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before the begin date indicated on the I-20. Students with a “transfer pending” I-20 are not subject to the 30-day rule.
- After gaining F status, you must meet with an advisor at the IC for Check-In.
I-20 processing time is 5-10 business days.