- Your Social Security card. A receipt indicating you have applied for a social security number is not sufficient. If you do not have a Social Security card, bring the original and one copy of your "letter of ineligibility" from the Ann Arbor Social Security Office. Letters more than 60 days old will not be accepted.
- Your original and one copy of the following documents: Letter of Ineligibility, I-20 or DS-2019, valid passport, and U.S. visa.
- Print one Form I-94
- Proof of your Michigan address (at least two documents with your name and Michigan residential address) and bring one copy.
- If you have a license from your home country, please bring it plus a translation if needed.
- A pencil AND a black pen
- You must complete the application.
- If you pass the test, a learning permit may be issued. It is $25 and you can pay with cash, check or major credit cards except American Express. There is 2% service fee if paying with a credit card.
Letter of Ineligibility
Social Security Office representatives will be on campus during Orientation to help international students apply for "letters of ineligibility." You will receive your letter of ineligibility right away. Please refer to the Social Security Number Application or Letter of Ineligibility Orientation event posted on the web site.
Proof of Michigan Address
The following documents with your name and Michigan address can be used as proof of your Michigan residency. Michigan P.O. boxes are not an acceptable residence address. It is possible to present two documents from the same category. For example, you may present two Chase bank statements from different months as long as they are issued within the last 90 days.
- "Letter of Ineligibility" issued by the Social Security Office.
- If you are a student, enter your Michigan address as Current Address in Wolverine Access. Then visit the the Office of the Registrar (Central Campus: 1207 LSA Building. North Campus: B430 Pierpont Commons) to obtain an unofficial transcript.
- A utility bill (e.g. telephone, cable, internet, water, etc.) or a credit card statement issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.
- Your residence hall or apartment lease that has your name, room or apartment number, and the housing or landlord's office phone number. Key assignment document from UM Housing office is not acceptable.
- Account statement from a bank or other financial institution issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.
- Most recent pay stub or earnings statement issued with the name and address of the employer.
Visit the Michigan Secretary of State website for the following:
- Third-party driving skills testing organizations for Road Test (Washtenaw County is in “H”).
- Services for Non-English Speaking Residents (Branch Offices) including Translator Resources List.
- Frequently used forms and publications including "Driving Skills Test Study Guide" and "What Every Driver Must Know".
To find driver training, visit the Yellow Pages and search “driving instructions” or “driving instructors”.