What to Bring to the On-Campus Michigan Driver's License Written Test

  1. Your Social Security card. A receipt indicating you have applied for a social security number is not sufficient. If you do not have a Social Security card, bring the "Letter of Ineligibility" issued by Social Security Administration. Letters more than 60 days old will not be accepted.
  2. Your original and one copy of the following documents: Letter of Ineligibility, I-20 or DS-2019, valid passport, and U.S. visa.
  3. Print one Form I-94
  4. Proof of your Michigan address (at least two documents with your name and Michigan residential address).
  5. If you have a license from your home country, please bring it plus a translation if needed.
  6. A pencil AND a black pen
  7. You must first download the Driver's License Application form to your desktop and complete the required fields (shaded areas) with Adobe Reader. See a sample of a completed application.
  8. If you pass the test, a learning permit may be issued. It is $25 and you can pay with cash, check or major credit cards except American Express. There is 2% service fee if paying with a credit card.

Proof of Michigan Address

The following documents with your name and Michigan address can be used as proof of your Michigan residency. Michigan P.O. boxes are not an acceptable residence address. It is possible to present two documents from the same category. For example, you may present two Chase bank statements from different months as long as they are issued within the last 90 days.

  1. "Letter of Ineligibility" issued by the Social Security Office.
  2. If you are a student, go to Wolverine Access and make sure the Current Address in the system is your address in Michigan first. Then print your unofficial transcript from Wolverine Access.
  3. A utility bill (e.g. telephone, cable, internet, water, etc.) or a credit card statement issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.
  4. Your residence hall or apartment lease that has your name, room or apartment number, and the housing or landlord's office phone number. Key assignment document from UM Housing office is not acceptable.
  5. Account statement from a bank or other financial institution issued within the last 90 days. Electronic copies are acceptable.
  6. Most recent pay stub or earnings statement issued with the name and address of the employer.


Visit the Michigan Secretary of State website for the following:

  • Third-party driving skills testing organizations for Road Test (Washtenaw County is in “H”).
  • Services for Non-English Speaking Residents (Branch Offices) including Translator Resources List.
  • Frequently used forms and publications including "Driving Skills Test Study Guide" and "What Every Driver Must Know".

To find driver training, visit the Yellow Pages and search “driving instructions” or “driving instructors”.