University of Michigan
International Center

home | international students | bringing money to the u.s.

Bringing Money to the U.S.

You may choose to bring large sums of money with you in the form of cash, money order, or traveler's checks when entering the U.S. You may bring as much money as you wish into the U.S., however, any amounts of money exceeding the allowed $10,000 (U.S. dollars) maximum must be declared in advance.

When you arrive in the U.S., you are required to declare all monies that you are bringing into the country. You will receive Form 6059B Customs Declaration, which must be filled in completely and truthfully. If you do not declare your money, the penalties for non-compliance can be severe. Your money might be taken away, you will be required to provide a written explanation of your failure to comply, your case will be evaluated, and you might have to pay a considerable fine.

For more information, refer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency web site.

Last reviewed: 5/07