The U-M International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan, as well as U-M American students seeking opportunities to study, work, or travel abroad. For information about a specific U-M International Center service area, please contact us at 734.764.9310 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student and Scholar Services
Our International Student and Scholar Services team serves as a key resource to the U-M community in the following ways:
- Advises international students, scholars, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J visa categories
- Recommends and approves immigration benefits
- Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
- Processes DS-2019s, I-20s, travel signatures, and letters needed for travel, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters.
- Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments
International Student and Scholar Health Insurance
The U-M International Center's Health Insurance office administers the University of Michigan mandatory health insurance program for international students and scholars, including providing and processing forms needed for insurance enrollment, changes, and requests for waivers of the insurance requirement. This office also assists students and scholars who have questions or concerns about insurance procedures and filing insurance claims.
Faculty and Staff Immigration Services
Our Faculty and Staff Immigration Services team provides the following services to U-M foreign national employees and departments on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses:
- Advises departments on U-M and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) policies and procedures for employing foreign nationals to ensure compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations
- Prepares and files employment-based visa petitions with USCIS on behalf of the University of Michigan
- Coordinates other employment-based immigration petitions in which the University of Michigan is the petitioner with approved, external immigration attorneys retained by the University
- Conducts workshops on topics for foreign national faculty, staff, and U-M departments
Our office does not provide legal immigration advice. If you need legal immigration advice, we recommend consulting a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
Global Community Engagement
The Global Community Engagement team provides:
- Education Abroad (study, work, educational travel) information
- Information about the Peace Corps
- Programs, outreach and cultural adjustment and support