University of Michigan
International Center

home | life in ann arbor | housing


University Housing has information about a variety of housing options in the Ann Arbor area. The Housing website has a special section for international students. Student Life has information about off-campus housing. Faculty, staff, and visiting scholars, except postdoctoral research fellows with families, are not eligible for on-campus housing, but may find the off-campus housing information useful.


On-Campus (university-owned housing)

Living on campus has many advantages, including the opportunity to start establishing a network of friends and neighbors and access to professional housing staff members who can answer your questions and help you locate University and community resources. On-campus housing is served by U-M buses.

On-campus housing options include:

As with any lease or contract, be sure that you understand your University of Michigan housing lease or contract before you sign it. Read the information about your contract at University Housing. University Housing also recommends buying renter’s insurance.

Off-Campus (privately-owned housing)

Before looking for off-campus housing:

  • Review these resources, especially the “Before You Sign a Lease” information.
  • Remember that your signature on a housing lease means that you have read the lease and accept the provisions of the lease. If you have questions about a lease, contact Student Legal Services (enrolled students only) for assistance.
  • Plan how you will travel to and from campus. Check AATA and campus bus routes if you plan to travel by bus.
  • University Housing also recommends buying renter’s insurance.

Finding off-campus housing:

Temporary Early Arrival Housing

Temporary Early Arrival Housing is intended for students who need to arrive before their residence hall is open, need temporary housing before their permanent housing is available, or need temporary housing while looking for permanent housing. This year, spaces in Temporary Early Arrival Housing were very limited. At this time, no more spaces are available. The Ann Arbor Area Convention and Visitors Bureau has information about Ann Arbor hotels.

Term Break Housing

U-M residence halls close during the vacation between fall and winter terms, but Term Break Housing is available for students who need a place to stay in Ann Arbor during the term break.

Ann Arbor Hotel Information

Visit Ann Arbor Accommodations Search

Buying a Home

The The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development offers a guide to buying a home. It includes tips on choosing a real estate agent, loan information, housing rights, and homeowners insurance.


Last reviewed: 05/15