Funding for Study Abroad

U-M Funding

Funding for study abroad is available from financial aid and scholarships through the University of Michigan.

Financial Aid

Review the Office of Financial Aid's (OFA) Study Abroad page and contact them regarding applying for or utilizing pre-existing aid for study abroad. Be sure to check deadlines on their website. For non U-M programs, the transfer of financial aid is not guaranteed and it is imperative that you reach out to OFA to discuss your specific situation. For example, in many cases, U-M specific scholarships will not transfer to non-UM programs. If you receive a significant amount of financial aid, it may be more cost-effective for you to study abroad through a U-M sponsored program.


U-M has compiled scholarship resources for education abroad - including study abroad - on the M-Compass funding page.

External Funding

Below are popular resources and search engines for external (not U-M administered) scholarships. 


Individual Scholarships