Congratulations on your admission to the University of Michigan! The International Center is excited to welcome you to the University and Ann Arbor this summer.
The International Center will be offering in-person (in-country) and virtual Pre-Departure Orientations this summer. The virtual Pre-Departure Orientation will be recorded and posted online for those who are unable to attend live. Click here to learn more and to register to attend.
International Center Orientation Events and Resources
The International Center offers a range of orientation events for new international students and scholars. Learn more about Summer 2023 Orientation events and resources here.
Additional Requirements and Recommendations
The following is a list of additional requirements and recommendations for new graduate/professional students, undergraduate students, and scholars (J-1 Exchange Visitors):
Graduate and Professional Students
- Required: Upon your arrival in the United States, you must complete the International Center's mandatory check-in.
- Required/Recommended: Your school or academic department probably offers an orientation. It may be required, but even if it is not, the International Center strongly recommends that you attend. Consult your school or department for more details.
- Required: Review the Office of New Student Programs (ONSP) International Student page.
- Required: Complete the International Center’s Mandatory Check-in process. Note that you must wait until you arrive in the United States to complete this process.
- Required: Attend the International Center’s International Student and Family Welcome Day on Wednesday, August 23rd. More information will be available soon!
Scholars (J-1 Exchange Visitors)
- Required: You must complete the mandatory check-in process, including the online pre- and post-arrival training and the check-in. The check-in is currently being conducted virtually.
- U-M Health Response: University-wide COVID-19 related information