What is it?
Global Wolverines: Preparing For Your International Experience is an event series for students traveling abroad during the summer. The aim of the events is to prepare students for their international experiences through workshops, a seminar, and cultural and social events that take place over the course of the Winter semester.
How can I attend?
Events are open to all students at U-M. They are not mandatory; students may pick and choose events based on their travel plans and their level of experience.
Please check back often as the list of events highlighted below will continue to be updated and expanded upon throughout the Winter semester!
- How to Find and Fund a Non-UM International Internship
- Thursday, January 17, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
- Michigan League, Kalamazoo Room
- RSVP here
- Booking Travel on a Budget with STA Travel
- Wednesday, February 20, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
- LSA Building, Room 2001
- Staying Safe & Healthy While Abroad
- Wednesday, March 20, 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM
- LSA Building, Room 2001
- Survival Language & Culture with the Language Resource Center
- Friday, April 12th, 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- 1500 North Quad, Language Resource Center
- Details about other workshops are forthcoming, but you can also expect workshops covering the following topics during the Winter 2019 term. Check back often for updates:
- Exploring Culture and Respectful Community Engagement
- How to Make The Most of your International Experience
- Travel Basics Series (Regionally-focused Travel Workshops)
- Managing Money While Abroad, including creating a budget
Intercultural Leadership Seminar
The Intercultural Leadership Seminar (ILS) is designed for U.S. and international students who want to learn how to be more effective in a global environment. ILS includes brief lectures, discussion, experiential activities, and small group work. Read More.
Cultural and Social Events
- 60 Minutes Around the Globe: 60 Minutes Around the World is a monthly event in which international students present information about their home countries! The topics vary based on presenter preference, but may include information about food, music, sports, politics, religions, etc. The presentations are intended to be informal and are followed by a question and answer session. This is a great opportunity to learn more about another part of the world and - if you're going to be traveling to one of the countries being presented on - it's a great way to "know before you go." Cultural food tastings are provided. While walk-ins are welcome at the event, early registration is appreciated so we can better prepare for the event. Register Here.
Date Time Country Location Fri, Jan 11 4pm - 5pm India International House Ann Arbor (IHAA)
- International Coffee Hour: International Coffee Hour is a great place to meet members of the U-M community from all around the world! This informal social event is open to all. While walk-ins are welcome at the event, early registrations is appreciated to help us prepare for the event! Register here.
Date Time Location Fri, Jan 25 4pm - 5pm Stamps Gallery (201 South Division Street) Fri, Feb 8 4pm - 5pm English Language Institute (Weiser Hall, Suite 900)