Travel Outside the U.S. and Re-entry

In the past few years, there have been a number of changes that may affect international students and scholars who plan to leave and reenter the United States. The U.S. Department of State and the Customs and Border Protection Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security have increased the level of review that international visitors face at U.S. embassies and consulates, at airports, and border crossing posts.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S., you will need to be aware of important immigration and security regulations to ensure that you can leave and re-enter the U.S. The following pages provide detailed immigration information to prepare you before you leave the U.S.:

U-M International Center Travel Advisory Provides detailed information to prepare F-1, F-2, J-1, and J-2 visa status holders with important information needed to travel and re-enter the U.S.
I-20 Travel Signature Request (for F-1 Students) To request official I-20 authorization to re-enter from a trip outside the U.S, please log in to the M-Passport portal, click on Requests > Travel Signature, and follow the instructions from there.
DS-2019 Travel Signature Drop-Off form This form is needed to request official DS-2019 authorization to re-enter from a trip outside the U.S.
U.S. Department of State visa wait times Provides the latest information on U.S. Department of State visa wait times.
U.S. Department of State's Web Sites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and Diplomatic Missions Provides an official listing of U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide.
U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement FAQ for F-1 Nonimmigrant Provides important information on what to expect when arriving at a U.S. port of entry.