Overview of Immigration Check-in
During the check-in session you will:
- Review legal requirements of F1/J1 status
- Provide original and photocopies of your immigration documents
- Receive a travel signature
Please arrive 15 minutes before the program start time.
The check-in session will last approximately two and a half hours (one hour for Returning/Change Of Level students), and you must attend the entire session. Your dependents are not required to attend. If you do not have the required documents or if you arrive late, you will NOT be allowed to attend the session and you will have to reschedule your appointment.
What You Must Bring With You to the Check-In
- Your passport
- Your original I-20 or DS-2019
- Copies of the following documents (black & white, standard letter size – 8 ½ by 11)
- Passport picture page
- Your F-1 or J-1 visa (and entry stamp) - (except Canadian citizens)
- Page 1 of your I-20 or DS-2019
- Electronic I-94 form (printed AFTER your arrival in the United States)
- If you have F-2 or J-2 dependents (spouse and/or children) who traveled with you to the US, bring their original passports and I-20 (or DS-2019) forms, photocopies of their visas, photocopies of page 1 of their I-20 (or DS-2019) and a copy of their electronic I-94 forms printed from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
Make two copies of each of your immigration documents (one copy for you and the other is for the International Center). There are several places where you can make photocopies:
- U-M Computing Sites – located in the basement of the Michigan Union or Angell Hall. You may make photocopies on multi-function devices (MFDs) using your M-Card.
- Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) – located in the basement of the Michigan League. Visit their web page for current hours of operation.
- FedEx Office – 505 E. Liberty Street, between Thompson and Maynard Streets.
The International Center uses Sessions@Michigan for check-in registration. All F-1 and J-1 students required to attend a check-in will receive an email with instructions regarding your check-in. You should receive the email 30 days before the start date on your I-20.
You may also visit the website for Sessions@Michigan, log in using your Umich login, and click on “My Sessions” (top right of the page) for more information about your check-in. The information should be available 30 days before the start date on your I-20.
You may see that you have been registered for a particular session (usually if your check-in is taking place as a part of your departmental orientation) or that you have been invited to register for one of several options. If Sessions@Michigan (or the email you received) indicates that you have already been registered, there is nothing more you need to do. Please attend the session that Sessions@Michigan instructs you to attend and to bring the documents outlined in the email.
New Undergraduate Student
Your check-in session will be part of the International Undergraduate Orientation co-sponsored by the Office of New Students Programs and the International Center. If you already attended a domestic student orientation because you are a Canadian or transfer student, you will not be attending the International Undergraduate Orientation and you will receive an invitation to register for a regular check-in.
Instructions for Registering By Invitation
Click on “Register” (circled in red) to see all of the available sessions and to choose the one you would like to attend. You will then be taken to a page that looks something like this:
You will choose ONE session to attend by clicking “Select” on that session (circled in red). Then, you will click “Register” (circled in blue). On the next page, YOU MUST CLICK “Register” again in order to confirm your registration, or you will not successfully be registered! Once you click “Register”, you will receive an email confirming your registration with a link to add it to your calendar.