The S & S Fund for International Students aims to assist in removing financial barriers for International Students that threaten to prevent the completion of their U-M degree.
- Degree-seeking international students at U-M Ann Arbor
- From African or Asian nations (ie: country of citizenship)
- Holds F-1 or J-1 student visa status at time of application
- STEM majors (see list)
- Undergraduate students
- Students who have not received this scholarship in the past
- Students without significant institutional or external funding (e.g. GSI/GSSA/GSRA positions, fellowships, governmental or other scholarships, or emergency funds)
The S&S Fund for International Students can be used to fund expenses including but not limited to:
- Tuition and fees
- Healthcare expenses
- And other emergency needs
- Scholarship amounts generally range from $5,000-$12,000
- Funding given to support tuition expenses will be distributed in Fall, Winter, or Spring/Summer semesters based upon enrollment and application review timeline.
- Funding will be applied directly to student accounts.
Students requesting funding should complete the S&S Fund for International Students Application and include the requested supporting documentation. A committee will review completed applications. Students will be informed of the application decision at the end of the selection period, generally 4-6 weeks after the application deadline. Students granted awards must accept the scholarship within 2 weeks. It typically takes two weeks for the funds to be disbursed to student accounts.
The application will open on November 6, 2023. Due to high volume applications, deadlines are as follows:
- November 30, 2023
- January 31, 2024
- March 31, 2024
How do I apply?
- Follow this link to complete the S&S Fund for International Students application.
- Log in with your UM email address or sign in with UM Single Sign On.
- Once you are on our application page, click the “Programs” button on the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Scroll down until you see S&S Fund for International Students application and click the “More” button.
- Once you have clicked “More” you should see a button that says “Apply”.
- Click “Apply” and complete the association application.
- Once the form is complete, finalize your application by clicking the “Submit” button.
Funds received are generally subject to tax withholding and are processed accordingly by the University. For more information about these taxes or to see if your country of citizenship has a tax treaty with the U.S., please review the following links: