All incoming non-student exchange visitors with DS-2019s issued by the University of Michigan must complete the following mandatory check-in process before their J-1 status can be officially activated in the SEVIS government database. If the exchange visitor’s DS-2019 is not issued by the University of Michigan, the EV should contact his or her sponsor. Exchange Visitors who have been issued student DS-2019s should review the mandatory check-in information listed under mandatory check-in for students instead.
Mandatory Check-In for non-student exchange visitors is a three part process. Failure to complete all three parts of the mandatory check-in process will result in a loss of immigration status. The parts include:
- (1) Pre-arrival online training
- (2) Post-arrival online training
- (3) Physical presence check-in (Tuesdays 3-4pm; Thursdays 10-11am)
In addition, part two and part three must be completed within five business days of the exchange visitor’s arrival in the United States.
Part One: Pre-Arrival Training for J-1 Exchange Visitors
Exchange Visitors will need to complete the pre-arrival online training before they apply for their J-1 visa and come to the United States. This training covers:
- Paying the SEVIS fee
- Obtaining a J-1 Visa
- Health Care Insurance
- Housing Arrangements
- Arrival at US Port of Entry
- Transportation to Ann Arbor from the Airport
Part Two: Post-Arrival Training for J-1 Exchange Visitors
As soon as a J-1 exchange visitor arrives in the United States, she or he should complete this training. In this training the exchange visitor will find important legal information and advice for his or her daily life in the U.S., including:
- Driver’s license
- US Laws and Ordinances
- Maintaining J-1 Status
- Social Security
- Health Care Insurance
Part Three: Physical Presence Check-In
Exchange Visitors should follow these steps to complete the physical presence check-in.
- Make photocopies of the required immigration documents (see list below.)
- The Post-Arrival Online Training should be completed at least one day before visiting the International Center. For example, if you are schedule to attend the IC on Tuesday, be sure to complete the online training on Monday (or earlier).
- Call the International Center to make an appointment for mandatory check-in (Check-ins are held Tuesdays 3-4pm and Thursdays 10-11am). If you are asked to leave a voice mail, please include your UMID.
Once an exchange visitor has completed all three parts of the mandatory check-in process the International Center can activate an exchange visitor’s status in the SEVIS government database.
Required Immigration Documents for the Physical Presence Check-In
Each J-1 must bring the original and photocopy (make copies after arriving in the U.S.) of the following documents:
- DS-2019 (front page only)
- Passport page(s) containing the picture and expiration date
- U.S. Visa (except Canadian citizens)
- Paper or print-out of electronic Form I-94 (please click on the link for instructions)
- Exchange Visitors accompanied by J-2 dependents must also bring the dependents’ documents (DS-2019, paper or print-out of electronic Form I-94, and passport) along with copies of each document.