Am I allowed to work outside the University of Michigan?

In addition to employment at the University of Michigan related to your J-1 objective, J-1 scholars and professors may be eligible to be authorized for incidental employment directly related to the J-1 objective, such as providing occasional lectures or consulting. Incidental employment must be approved by the U-M International Center prior to the activity. For more information, refer to Incidental Employment for J-1 Scholars and Professors.