- A revised version of the existing policy authorizing interview waivers for certain F and J visa applicants will be extended to December 31, 2023.
- Through that same date, U.S. consulates will have the authority to continue to waive the in-person interview requirement for foreign nationals applying for any type of nonimmigrant visa in the same classification, where the prior visa has expired within 48 months.
- Consulates have also been given new authority to waive nonimmigrant visa interviews for some H-1B and H-4 applicants, among others, provided that they meet certain criteria.
- Visa applicants must still meet certain requirements to be eligible for the interview waiver, and these interview waiver policies may vary from consulate to consulate depending on local conditions. Waivers are only granted at the discretion of the consular officer.
- If you need to apply for or renew your visa to re-enter the U.S., check the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you plan to apply for your visa for detailed information on what services are currently available as well as for eligibility information and instructions on applying for a visa without an interview.
For more information:
Last Updated: 12/31/2022