International Center Winter 2021 Orientation
Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Michigan (U-M)! International Center (IC) staff is excited to welcome you to campus!
Though we will not be able to offer an in-person orientation due to COVID-19, the International Center remains committed to serving and supporting new international students. You are welcome here! See a list of comprehensive resources for new international students, parents, families, and virtual offerings below.
Virtual Q&A Sessions
To help new students prepare for arrival to campus, the IC will host two Question & Answer (Q&A) sessions to help students prepare for their studies at U-M. These sessions are scheduled for:
- Friday, December 18, 9:00-10:30AM (Eastern Time Zone)
- To register, click here
- Friday, January 8, 9:00-10:30AM (Eastern Time Zone)
- To register, click here
To join either virtual Q&A session and obtain login information, new students should register in advance. You should use your U-M Uniqname and password to register through Sessions. The presentations will be conducted in English via Zoom meeting.
Prior to registering/attending a Q&A Session, new students are advised to first review one of the summer 2020 pre-departure orientation presentations/recordings below. Once you have reviewed a presentation or listened to a recording, you will be better prepared to ask questions at the Q&A Session. Students are also encouraged to submit questions in advance when registering for an event.
- Virtual Pre-departure Orientation - Taiwan (Summer 2020): recommended for new students from Taiwan. Presentation and recording.
- Virtual Pre-departure Orientation - China (Summer 2020): recommended for new students from P.R.China. Presentation and recording.
- Virtual Pre-departure Orientation for New International Students (Summer 2020): open to all new international students. Presentation and recording.
We also encourage students to review the Winter 2021 FAQ page for new students.
Winter 2021 International Center Orientation Canvas Course
Once you have joined the International Center Winter Orientation Canvas course, you will be able to view Peer-to-Peer Conversations (presentations and recordings) and additional workshop presentations/videos. All of the topics in Canvas are designed to help new students with their initial adjustment. Below are some examples of the topics that might interest you:
- Practical Matters
- Setting up household utilities
- Academic Support/Cultural Transition
- How to use Canvas
- Communicating with academic advisors (for graduate students)
- Cultural differences in the classroom
- Transportation and Safety
- Driving in the U.S.
- Getting around and personal safety
- Health and Wellness
- International Insurance
- University Health Service
- Finding a job on campus
- U.S. Tax
International Student Panel
Continuing international students will share their personal experiences about academic or student life at U-M. This event will be:
- January 13, 2021, from 9:00-10:30AM (Eastern time zone). Click here to register.
Attendees are welcome to submit questions when they register, but examples of questions the panel will answer are:
- Why did you choose U-M?
- What do you like about Ann Arbor?
- How's the food on campus?
- What are classes like?
- What kind of support is available for internship and career opportunities?
- What resources are available if I want to get involved with student organizations?
- and more!
Blog and Videos
Winter in Michigan Video
Wondering how to prepare for a Michigan winter? One of our current international students, Matt Wu, created a video with useful tips for surviving winter in Michigan. Matt covers topics such as what to wear, walking and driving in the snow/ice, fun things to do, and more!
Virtual Office Hours
To make new international students feel welcome to the U-M community, effective Monday, January 11, the International Center will hold virtual office hours - staffed by a current international student - to answer general questions that are related to life in Ann Arbor and at University of Michigan. You may join as many as you like. You can also drop in or leave at any time during the office hours.
To secure the virtual office hours, you need to go to Winter Orientation Virtual Office Hours to select the date and time in order to obtain the Zoom link. There are sessions available in the mornings and evenings (Eastern Standard Time). Please be mindful of this when signing up for a timeslot. When you join the Zoom meeting, you must use your umich email account to log in.
- International Student Welcome Booklet
- Pre-Arrival Guide for New International Students
- Parents and Families
- Graduate Students with Children
- Ann Arbor Area Visitors Guide
- Chinese Student & Scholar Association (CSSA) Guide for new students
If you have any questions, please contact the International Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.