Before You Leave for Study Abroad

Study Abroad Checklist: Things To Do Before You Leave

  • See the International Center Travel Abroad Checklist
  • Find out more about country conditions and Travel Warnings and Alerts, -Visit U.S. State Department Students Abroad for more information.
  • Register your itinerary and emergency contact information at U-M International Travel Registration. This is required for all University-related travel.
  • Meet with a concentration advisor and/or your general academic advisor to see how your study abroad program will fit in with your program of study at U-M.
    • Contact the Registrar’s Office in regards to obtaining a registration date for classes for the next U-M semester
  • Change your address on Wolverine Access so that U-M forwards all mailings to the address of your choice.
  • Terminate any housing/ meal contracts and leave a forwarding address. Contact the U-M Housing Information Office with questions about campus housing possibilities after you return:
  • Obtain a passport and ensure it will be valid for at least 6 months beyond the expected stay abroad
    • Take a photocopy of the signature and photo page of your passport, visa, and other important documents for ease in replacing them if lost or stolen. Email this to yourself and pack a copy in a secure place separate from your passport.
    • Leave a photocopy of these items with a close friend or family member who could fax it to you if you lose all copies and need to replace your passport while abroad.
  • Check with your program and/or the consulate of your host country to see if you will need to apply for a student visa.
  • Purchase U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance. Effective 9/1/11, students, faculty and staff from all U-M campuses who travel abroad for University-related purposes must have U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance and register in the U-M Travel Registry. See UHS Travel Abroad Health Insurance for further details