Travel Preparations



Carry photocopies of passport while traveling and considering e-mailing it to a personal e-mail address. These precautions will make the replacement process quicker and less costly if the passport is lost or stolen.


Permission from foreign governments may be required for you to enter their countries. You must have your passport to apply.


May be recommended for many destinations in Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America. Check with the UHS Travel Health Clinic for more information.


You usually need a round-trip ticket between the U.S. and foreign destination. Make a photocopy of your ticket (or e-ticket). Keep backup copies separate from the originals.


Always have multiple forms of money: cash, ATM, credit cards, and traveler’s checks. Never carry large amounts of cash. Use a hidden money belt for most of your money. Refer to the U-M International Center's Travel Finances page for how to carry money and budgeting information.


Mark all luggage inside and out with your name and address. Travel as light as possible. Any suitcases should have wheels. Make sure all carry-on baggage abides by airline size standards.

International Students

Non-U.S. citizens must see an international student and scholar advisor regarding travel plans. Note that you may also need to obtain a visa(s) for the country or countries you intend to visit.


Don’t assume that personal insurance will apply while abroad. The U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance is a required purchase for students traveling for university-related purposes and is strongly recommended for personal/leisure travel.

Assess Health & Safety Risks

See U-M’s Travel Policy which lists countries with warnings. The U.S. Department of State's Country Specific Travel Information also provides safety advisories.


U-M students, staff and faculty are required to register university-related travel with the U-M Travel Registry. U.S citizens should also register online with the U.S Department of States. Leave copies of your travel abroad itinerary with family members and others who are close to you, and with your program administrators if you're studying or working abroad.


Strongly Recommended

International ID Card

Card provides a broad range of discounts overseas. There are many different varieties. Visit MyISIC for more information.


Geared to your own travel style and itinerary. Student-oriented guidebook series include Let's Go, Lonely Planet and Rough Guides.


Photocopy your passport, plane ticket, traveler's checks, rail pass, credit card numbers, and prescriptions. Take one set of copies with you and leave another set in the U.S. and email a scanned copy to yourself.


Make a reservation for your first night abroad and get information on traveling to and from the airport.


Things to Consider


Take everything you will need for the trip, along with copies of all prescriptions and the generic names of drugs. Keep medicines in the original labeled drugstore containers. Take extra eyeglasses or contacts and the prescription.

International Driver's License

Can be obtained from AAA if you intend to drive while abroad.


Write down serial numbers, bring copies of receipts to avoid duty taxes, and make sure insurance and warranties are up to date (many home or renters' insurance will cover computers). Be aware of differences between American and foreign electrical current to avoid damage.

Rail Passes

Must be purchased before you leave. Money savers for extensive travel include Eurailpass, Eurail Flexipass, Europass, Japan Rail Pass, Regional or Single Country Rail Passes, etc. Passes are available at STA Travel.