Funding Resources for U-M Graduate Internship and Research

There are lots of opportunities for UM graduate student funding for abroad experiences. Below is a list of U-M offices with funding opportunities. Other important resources include:

  • Your UM School or College
  • Department or degree program
  • International office within your school/college
  • Professors
  • Foreign Language departments

U-M Offices That May Have Funding for U-M Graduate Students

U-M International Institute The International Institute has the most comprehensive listing of all U-M funding sources for international educational activities. It includes International Institute Fellowships (for internships, research, theses, dissertations; available for all students, including non-U.S. citizens) and IIE-Fulbright and Fulbright-Hays Fellowships.
Area Studies Centers
Center for the Education of Women Grants for women who propose research on women's issues (also available to undergraduates). CEW also offers a fellowship for graduate students pursuing fieldwork or research in South or Southeast Asia.
Rackham Fellowships Office
  • Fellowships for students in Rackham graduate degree programs
The Ginsberg Center Offers grants for individuals or groups doing internships or research with a service, social justice or “community-based” focus. See Fellowships as well as Student Resources.
William Davidson Institute – Student Projects & Internships Offers several grant and internship programs for graduate students.
Raoul Wallenberg International Summer Travel Fellowship (administered by the International Center) In the spirit of Raoul Wallenberg's experience at Michigan, the Raoul Wallenberg International Summer Travel Fellowship will allow selected students to take part in a community service project or civic participation anywhere in the world. Can be found on MCompass. Search Scholarship Programs: "Wallenberg."

Check out Tips for Funding Graduate International Internships for more information.