Long-Term Work Opportunities in Spanish-Speaking Countries

Below is a list of programs and opportunities for long term work (more than one year) in a Spanish speaking country

Note: There are University Travel Warnings issued on some of destinations listed below. It is the participant’s responsibility to research this information & to adhere to the University’s Travel Policy if going to one of these destinations as a University of Michigan student. See the University’s Travel Policy for further information, including a current list of countries with travel warnings and restrictions.

  • Brethren Volunteer Services
    Placement in Latin America and Caribbean. Christian service program that places volunteers in locally sponsored programs for a period of two years. Volunteers work in education, health care and homeless shelters. A college degree or equivalent life experience is required. Transportation, room and board, medical coverage and a monthly stipend are provided.
  • Concern America
    Placement in Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala, Colombia and Ecuador. A refugee aid and development organization for poor communities in developing countries, Program minimum of two years. Volunteers must be 21 years old, have a degree in public health, medicine, nutrition, nursing, agriculture, community development, education, or appropriate technology and be fluent in Spanish or willing to finance own Spanish learning. Room, board, transportation, insurance and a stipend are provided.
  • Jesuit Volunteers Corps (JVC)
    Placement in Nicaragua, Belize and Peru. Catholic program that provides participants the opportunity to work for justice and peace through education, advocacy, direct service, and community service. Volunteers must be 21 years old and commit to a minimum of two years of service. JVC provides room and board, insurance, and a monthly stipend.
  • Fourth World Movement
    Placement in Guatemala, Bolivia, Mexico, Peru, Honduras and El Salvador. Volunteers must first participate in a three-month unpaid internship, living and working with full-time volunteers at one of their North American locations. At the end, interns are eligible to join the Volunteer Corps, which requires a minimum two-year assignment at a domestic or international sites. There are currently teams in 28 countries.
  • Mennonite Central Committee
    Placement in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. Volunteers commit to service terms in fields such as agriculture, health, education, social services, and community development. All MCC workers must exhibit a commitment to personal Christian faith, active church membership and non-violent peacemaking. Transportation, living expenses, and a small stipend are provided for terms of two years or longer.
  • Peace Corps
    U.S. government agency that sends volunteers to over 75 developing countries, including many countries in Latin America. Volunteers work in a wide range of areas such as education, public health, the environment and nutrition. A two-year commitment is required, as well as a college degree or 3-5 yrs. experience in their area of expertise. Room, board, and a monthly stipend is provided. US Citizens only.
  • United Nations Volunteers
    Community-based development projects, humanitarian relief, and peace, democracy and human rights operations The majority of assignments are based on six to twelve month renewable contracts with an expectation that the volunteer will serve a year or more. Essential requirements include grad/post-grad degrees, working experience, minimum of 25 years old, and fluency in at least one of the United Nations working languages. Housing and other costs provided.


Other long term Spanish opportunities include teaching. To see information on teaching in Spanish-speaking countries, see Teaching in Spanish Speaking Countries.