Message for the Parents of New International Undergraduate Students

Dear Parents,

It was wonderful to see so many families of our new students participate in Monday’s orientation.  As a follow-up to our Panel of University Representatives, we would like to provide you with some additional information and webpages, and with responses to some of the questions raised yesterday, in order to clarify these important issues for you.

We would also like to point out another welcome event, an Ice Cream Social, in case you are here on Thursday.  Students and parents are invited to join President Schlissel for ice cream, cookies and light refreshments at the President's House (815 South University) on Thursday, Aug. 31 from noon to 1:30 pm.  The invitation is on the University of Michigan home page:

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your student to the Wolverine family!


Judith Pennywell, Ed.D.
Director, International Center
University of Michigan


Panel of University Representatives


  • Banking in the US
    • Slides 15-17 discuss what is needed to open an account
    • Slides 19-20 discuss linking the M-Card to PNC Bank


Winter Break and the Residence Halls

All residence halls will close for the Winter Term Break at 7:00 pm on December 21, 2017.

  • December 21 is also the last day of Fall Term final exams.
  • Students must leave the residence halls during the term break, but can leave their possessions in their rooms.
  • For residents who cannot return to their homes during the winter break, the university works to partner with a local hotel.  More information will be available at Winter Term-Break Housing after November 1.
  • The International Center will also email information to students about holiday homestay programs, for international students who would like to spend the Term Break in another part of the U.S.

Summer Storage for Students Who Live in the Residence Halls

Can students store their possessions in the residence halls over the summer?

The residence halls have no storage for students' belongings over the summer. Ann Arbor has a number of companies that will offer a storage locker for a fee. Some, such as John's Pack and Ship, will pick up students’ belongings from the residence hall, store them, and deliver them to their new address in the fall.

Payments to U-M


You must use Flywire to make payments on your student’s U-M student account by international wire transfer.

  • If you prefer not to use Flywire, you can wire money to your student’s U.S. bank account and your student can then make the payment to the University.
  • Each term, Flywire transfers cannot exceed the cost of attendance. Please see the Cost of Attendance published by the U-M Office of Financial Aid to determine the maximum amount that may be wired to the U-M each term.
  • If you want to wire additional funds to your student, for example so that your student can purchase Blue Bucks, you can transfer the money directly to the student’s bank account, and the student can then purchase and pay for Blue Bucks.
  • Student Financial Services recommends contacting Flywire customer service if you have questions or problems with Flywire.  They have found Flywire customer service to be very helpful.

Payment Notifications

When I pay a charge on my student’s account, will I get a receipt? 

Once parents have set up a   "Friend/Family Account" , their students can authorize access to their student account information, including access to student account notifications.   Parents will then receive notifications when payments are made.  Every month, an electronic statement is produced which shows all charges and payments.  Parents with access to their student’s account information will be able to see these statements.

Documents for U.S. Travel

What documents should my student carry when travelling the U.S.?

To be on the safe side, we recommend that students take their original immigration documents with them when travelling outside the Ann Arbor area.