Engineering and Sciences

Students concentrating in engineering and sciences should take advantage of abroad opportunities as these careers are extremely intertwined with the international domain. There are many opportunities for going abroad, including both study programs and paid internships.

U-M Offices for Study and Work Abroad

U-M College of Engineering, International Programs in Engineering (IPE)
Room 245
Chrysler Center (North Campus)
The U-M College of Engineering sponsors engineering study and work abroad programs in Asia, Australia, Europe and Latin America for undergraduates and graduate students. Sophomores or juniors may enroll in regular universities and take core engineering courses that are applicable to the U-M degree. See the IPE web site for more information.

U-M College of Engineering Career Resource Center
230 Chrysler Center
Best source for long-term engineering positions and internships

International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE)
The IAESTE Internship Placement Program matches U.S. university students majoring in technical fields with paid internships abroad. Positions are available in industry, research institutes and universities, consulting firms, labs, and other work environments. Most placements are for 8-12 weeks during the summer, but fall and longer-term placements are also available.

U-M International Center
Education Abroad Office
1500 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson St.
Offers comprehensive information on options for study abroad, scholarships, international internships, work and volunteering abroad, and inexpensive travel abroad. Peer advisors can give first-hand information on studying and working in many different countries. The U-M Peace Corps Office is part of the U-M International Center.

Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)
G155 Angell Hall
435 S. State St.
[email protected]
CGIS offers LS&A study abroad programs (some of which offer science courses) in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. Also administers some of the scholarship programs for U-M undergraduates. Use M-Compass to search offered programs.

U-M International Institute
Suite 2660
School of Social Work Building
1080 South University
[email protected]
The International Institute offers “Individually-Developed Internship” scholarships for U-M undergraduate and graduate students to support overseas study and internships. Apply in Winter term. Also offers scholarships for study abroad for graduate students.


Internship Programs with an Engineering Focus: Worldwide Placement

IAESTE United States (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience), affiliated with Cultural Vistas
Programs in over 80 countries. Both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens are eligible. Limited to currently enrolled students. Positions are available in industry, research institutes and universities, consulting firms, labs, and other work environments.
The internships pay enough to cover living expenses.

IAESTE can help you with your internship plans in two of the following ways:

  • Simply apply online at the national IAESTE organization.
  • Or, IAESTE can assist in obtaining a work permit if you have an overseas internship offer. This is not easy unless you have connections (perhaps through a previous Employer*, a professor, or family). Check with IAESTE's national office to be sure that they can do this for a specific country.

AIESEC (International Association of Students in Economics and Business Management)
AIESEC is the business equivalent of International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience. It has technical internships available. AIESEC has meetings near the beginning of Fall & Winter terms for those interested in applying for internships. Citizens of all countries are eligible for International Association of Students in Economics and Business Management.


Germany, Russia, Argentina, Chile and Spain

Cultural Vistas (formerly CDS)
Cultural Vistas offers many different programs. The Cultural Vistas Internship Program offers paid internships for undergraduates or graduates and is 3 or 6 months in duration; offered in Germany, Argentina, Chile and Spain. Apply by December 1 for summer, or 5 months in advance otherwise. There is a participation fee. The Congress-Bundestag Program (Germany) consists of 2 months intensive German, 4 months attending a university or technical college, and a 5-month internship. Most expenses paid; no application fee. Specified age of participants is 18-24. See Cultural Vistas web site for additional programs.
U-M students: Contact the official Cultural Vistas representative in the German Department, Peggy Wunderwald-Jensen.

DAAD RISE/RISE Professional
RISE is a summer internship program for undergraduate students from the United States, Canada and the UK in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, earth sciences and engineering. It offers opportunities for undergraduate students to work with research groups at universities and top research institutions across Germany for a period of 2 to 3 months during the summer. RISE Professional offers research internships in science and engineering at German companies for graduating seniors and graduate students.

RWTH Aachen UROP International
UROP International provides undergraduate students with opportunities to conduct research programs at RWTH Aachen University for around two months over the summer. The majority of the projects are in the fields of science and engineering, as mathematics, architecture, and the social sciences.



American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF)
Offers internships primarily in Finland and Sweden, sometimes Denmark and Norway. No knowledge of a foreign language is needed. For U.S. citizens and permanent residents only. Applicants must have some previous work experience. Positions pay enough to cover living expenses, but airfare is the participant's responsibility. There is an application fee and refundable deposit. Internships are listed online. ASF can also procure work permits for the Scandinavian countries, for those who find their own placements.


Australia, Britain, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand

For a fee, The BUNAC Work Abroad Program gives you a work permit without having a job offer (otherwise impossible), and you find your own job using the program's listings and overseas job offices. Work authorization services for England require that participants have found their internship prior to application. For U.S. citizens and/or permanent residents. For more information, see: Short Term Paid Work Abroad: BUNAC. Contact U-M International Center for other listings and applications.


Europe and Asia

International Cooperative Education Program (ICEP)
ICEP offers paid summer internships in Europe, Asia and Latin America. Positions usually require some knowledge of the local language. Mechanical Engineering (ME), Electrical Engineering (EE), and computer positions are especially abundant.Citizens of most countries eligible. Interviews are required in the language (usually not English) in which you would work and are given via Skype.


Peace Corps

The Peace Corps
U-M students: Contact U-M Peace Corps Office at U-M International Center
Incredible opportunities for engineering positions around the world. Visit the Peace Corps site for more information. Virtually any engineer is likely to qualify as a math or science teacher. Civil engineers and others are also needed to do engineering work.

U.S. Department of State
The U.S. Department of State offers internships and career positions as “specialists” for engineers, computer scientists and for those in information technology fields.