In light of the ongoing COVID crisis and in preparation for the launch of the Fall semester, the following guidance describes the International Center’s plans for serving the international population while maintaining as much social distancing as possible.
Beginning on Monday, August 17, the International Center will be open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 pm and 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. These office hours are primarily for document drop-off and pick-up and for pre-scheduled visits. We also have a drop box for contactless document drop off at any time the Student Activities Building is open (Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). For the rest of the day, our doors will be locked but our staff will work remotely to assist you and to process your requests.
In general, we recommend virtual meetings, email, or calls to avoid as much in-person contact as possible while the pandemic persists. Unlike in the past, we will not hold in-person walk-in hours for Quick Question Advising (QQA) or insurance advising, nor any programs and events in the conference room. However, there may be occasions when coming to the IC in person is merited, or times when staff determine that an office visit is the most effective way to address a matter.
Please read this announcement for information about how to contact us and for the procedures to follow if you visit our office. Remember that for everyone’s safety, U-M requires you to wear a face covering that covers your mouth, nose and chin anywhere on campus, so please be sure to wear your face covering when you visit our office. Of course, our staff will also wear face coverings.
HOW TO CONTACT OUR STAFF
Contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 734-764-9310 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. The links below have more information about contacting our advisors or requesting an appointment.
- International Student/Scholar Advisors
- International Health Insurance Advisor
- Faculty/Staff Immigration Services
- Education Abroad, including Peace Corps and Peace Corps Prep
- International Center Peer Advisors for questions from new students (available through 8/27)
IF YOU VISIT OUR OFFICE
- With current physical distancing standards, we have very limited space – enough for two people only - in the waiting area inside our office. As such, we have marked lines in the lobby so that you will know where to stand to maintain social distancing. Please read the signs and floor markers in each line, and wait in the appropriate line until you are called by Front Desk Staff. Please do not crowd around the IC door.
- When our Front Desk staff calls you, please stand on the floor marker, and only approach the counter when the front desk staff directs you to provide or retrieve documents.
- If you are experiencing a cough, fever, shortness of breath, body aches or pains, or other symptoms of illness or if you have had close or household contact in the last 14 days with someone diagnosed with COVID-19, do not come to the IC, even if you are scheduled to see us. Contact your healthcare provider or University Health Service (UHS). If you have scheduled a visit, we will reschedule it.
- If you are scheduled to see us and will be significantly delayed, please contact us to reschedule.
- After exiting the office, we recommend that you wash or sanitize your hands.
Thank you for your cooperation and for helping to keep the whole U-M campus community safe and healthy.
Stay safe, stay well,
The International Center
Last updated: Friday, 8/14/2020, 3:18PM.