Other Family Visitors to the U.S. (B-1/B-2 Visitors)


Family members who are not the children or spouse of the F-1 /J-1 must apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa to visit the U.S. Family members from certain countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. for up to 90 days without obtaining a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program.

Documents Needed to Apply for B-1/B-2 Visa

The following documents are required to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa:

Additional Recommended Documents

To help strengthen your B-1/B-2 visa application, we recommend that you provide additional documents to clarify that the visit is temporary and/or is for a specific occasion (e.g., graduation ceremony), and that the visitor will be supported financially while visiting the U.S. Most importantly, the additional documents should show proof of ties to the home country to prove that the visitor does not intend to immigrate to the U.S. Proof of ties to the home country may include economic, social, family, or other commitments showing that the visitor intends to return home after a temporary stay in the U.S. Examples include:

  • Proof of employment – a letter from the employer indicating that this individual is currently employed and taking time off, but is due back at their job on a specific date.
  • Proof of property ownership – house, apartment, or a business.
  • Proof of contact with other family members in the home country.
  • Proof of finances – bank statement, stocks, property.
  • A formal letter of invitation (written by you as the F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor) indicating the specific reason for the visit (e.g., graduation, wedding, illness, birth of a child). The letter should include information about the purpose of travel and planned itinerary or schedule. It may also include information about your U.S. immigration status as an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor. If you are inviting family members to attend your graduation ceremony, you can also request a special letter of invitation from the University of Michigan. Please refer to Preparing for Commencement: International Students for details. Note: it can take up to two business days for the University to process a letter of invitation. The Letter of Invitation will be emailed to the graduate, who can then forward it to her or his parents for use in documenting their visa request.

For more information about B-1/B-2 visa denials, refer to the U.S. Department of State Visitor Visas.

For more information about B-1/B-2 visas, refer to the U.S. Department of State Visitor Visas.