Step 1: Apply
- Complete the Peace Corps Prep application on MCompass by October 27, 2019. There will only be one application cycle during the 2019-2020 academic year. Refer to the Student Guide to plan how you intend to fulfill the Peace Corps Prep requirements
- Within one week you can expect to hear from a Peace Corps Prep Advisor regarding your application status
Step 2: Attend Peace Corps Prep Orientation
- Once admitted, you will be invited to a Peace Corps Prep Orientation meeting to learn more about the program specifics and engage with fellow PC Prep students.
Step 3: Meet with a PC Prep Advisor
- After attending the PC Prep Orientation, you may wish to meet with a PC Prep advisor
- Come to this meeting prepared to discuss the curriculum and service plan that you completed on your application - this will be an opportunity to double check that your intended plan will be successful and/or make any changes
Step 4: Certificate requirements
- When enrolling in classes, ensure that you are signing up for courses that also fulfill the work sector, cultural competence, and language requirements of the PC Prep program
- Engage in service hours to fulfill work sector requirements - remember to have the tracking form signed by a supervisor!
- While you may choose to wait until your senior year to have your resume reviewed and complete a mock interview, it is never too soon to plan how you will fulfill the leadership requirement; joining a student organization may be a good way to start!
Step 5: Engage
- Stay connected to the Peace Corps Prep community by taking part in Peace Corps Prep meetings and other related events
- Be sure to connect with a PC Prep Coordinator periodically to track your progress in the program and ensure you are meeting the requirements
Step 6: Completion of requirements
- After successfully completing all of the program requirements, log back into M-Compass
- Upload and submit the following completed and signed forms to M-Compass
- Unofficial university transcripts
- Work sector hour documentation
- Resume review verification form
- Interview preparation verification form
- Exit checklist
- Once you’ve completed all the MCompass requirements, you’ll need to press the “Submit” button in MCompass. This will alert the PC Prep team that your documents are ready for review.
- Schedule an appointment to come into the International Center, and meet with an advisor to review and sign your checklist!
- This step is very important and is a requirement for completing the U-M Peace Corps Prep program.
- Upon completion of the program requirements and approval by a PC Prep coordinator, a request will be sent to the Peace Corps headquarters for your official PC Prep Certificate. The national Peace Corps Office distributes certificates two times per year - at the end of the Fall and Winter semesters.
Step 7: Prepare for service
- For students who wish to serve in the Peace Corps upon graduation, you may begin looking into the best Peace Corps position for you!
- For advice on the application process, reach out to a PC Recruiter right here on U-M’s campus!
- Remember to upload your completed (and signed) Exit Checklist when you apply for Peace Corps - even if you’ve not yet finished all of your requirements!