Paid Short-Term Work

Paid short-term abroad is an option if you want to experience total cultural immersion or earn enough to support an overseas adventure. Job opportunities will range in duration from a few months to a few years and you must have a work permit issued by your host country. Programs differ in compensation, some paying in wage while others paying in-kind (room and board). There are two main types of paid short term work abroad programs.

  • Work Permit Programs
    Programs that enable you to get a work permit in advance and then look for a job on site, assisted by overseas offices. BUNAC is one popular example.
  • Work Placement Programs
    Programs that place you in a job, procure work permits, and sometimes assist with housing. Usually works as part of an overseas "exchange".