Health & Safety

The University Health Service (UHS) is a primary resource for health needs in the U-M community. Both international students and scholars have access to UHS services, including the primary care clinic, immunizations, nurse advice by phone, pharmacy, eye care clinic and optical shop, mental health and wellbeing services, sexual health services, and more! UHS Nurse Advice by Phone is available at all hours and can help you decide if it is best to go to UHS when its open, an urgent care location, or the Emergency Room. 

Similarly, Counseling and Psychological Services are free, confidential, and available to currently enrolled students ONLY (international scholars are not eligible for CAPS services). Their services include brief counseling for individuals, couples and groups; consultation to students; assistance with referrals to community resources; and crisis interventions.

Navigate below to learn about numerous additional resources for health & safety in the Ann Arbor community.


Primary Care

This is the primary doctor’s office you plan to use while in the US. Contact your health insurance provider to ensure you are visiting a doctor approved under your plan. The following is a list of U-M affiliated facilities, but your insurance provider will have an extensive list of doctors you may also visit:

Urgent Care

  • Urgent Care facilities provide walk-in healthcare services for patients with illnesses or injuries that are not life-threatening but also cannot wait until the next day to be seen. Costs for services and wait times at urgent care centers are usually much lower than at hospital emergency rooms. Be sure to check your insurance plan to see which urgent care facilities are in your network.
  • Check out this list to view several Ann Arbor Urgent Care Facilities. An online search will show more options in the area. 
  • CVS has a Minute Clinic on State Street close to U-M’s Central Campus.


  • Use hospital emergency rooms for emergencies only! If you are unsure if you are experiencing an emergency, call your primary care physician 24 hour line. 
  • Depending on which type of health insurance you carry, your preferred hospital may be one or both of two major hospital systems in the Ann Arbor area:

Counseling and Mental Health Resources

  • U-M Affiliated Services
    • Counseling and Psychological Services free, confidential, and available to currently enrolled students ONLY (international scholars are not eligible for CAPS services). Services include: brief counseling for individuals, couples and groups; consultation to students; assistance with referrals to community resources; and crisis interventions.
    • Center for the Child and Family Evaluation and counseling for children, adolescents, couples, and families. Open to the public. Sliding scale fees.
    • Center for the Education of Women+ Educational and career counseling services open to the U-M community, including partners and spouses of international students and scholars. 
    • Spectrum Center Comprehensive range of education, information and advocacy services working to create and maintain an open, safe and inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ members of the U-M community.
    • University Psychological Clinic Individual and couples counseling. Open to the public. Sliding scale fees.
    • Career Center Internship information, career counseling and advising, job search information and programming to current and former students.
    • Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO) Services are designed to help staff, faculty, and their immediate family members with personal difficulties encountered at both work and home.
    • Work-Life Resource Center Helps U-M families achieve balance through connections with campus and community resources that help you integrate your personal life and your work life.
    • Mediation Services for Faculty and Staff Offers a safe harbor to discuss any workplace concern, off the record, and explore alternatives for addressing it. Their mediation services allow two or more parties to communicate openly and honestly in a safe and structured setting about a disagreement.
    • Wolverine Wellness Fosters personal & community well-being for the U-M community, including international students and scholars.
  • Non U-M Affiliated Services
    • Check with your health insurance provider to see if you have coverage for private counseling or psychological services. They will be able to provide you with a list of practitioners who will be covered by your policy.

Family Planning and Sexual Health

Your primary care physician, the University Health Service, and Planned Parenthood can provide you with confidential information on birth control and testing/counseling for pregnancy, HIV, sexually transmitted diseases, and pregnancy termination.

Dental Services

Refer to the U-M International Center's Dental Care page for detailed information on dental care resources in the Ann Arbor area.

Vision Care Services

Listed below are two U-M affiliated facilities, but check your insurance company’s website to verify your vision coverage and to search for more options.

Health Insurance

  • Review your health insurance policy carefully to learn what services, doctors, hospitals, and pharmacies are in your plan’s network. This will help to avoid unnecessary costs.
  • If you are enrolled in U-M’s International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan (Blue Care Network), visit the U-M International Center's Health Insurance section for more information. 
  • If you are enrolled in GradCare or one of U-M’s faculty/staff health insurance plans, review the Benefits and Wellness section of the U-M Human Resources website.

Emergency Services

Go to the nearest emergency room or call 911 in any life-threatening situation.

Know who to contact for which emergencies:

Unit Services/ When to Call Contact/Phone
Police Department If someone's life, safety, health, or property is in immediate danger 911
(available 24 hours)
Emergency Medical Services Any serious or life-threatening medical problem 911
(available 24 hours)
Fire Department Any type of fire (business, car, building) 911
(available 24 hours)
Suicide and Crisis Lifeline Toll-free line for anyone experiencing a suicidal crisis or emotional distress 988
(available 24 hours)
U-M Department of Public Safety and Security DPSS is housed within U-M and works closely with the Ann Arbor Police Department for university-related emergencies.

You can also call DPSS for non-emergencies, such as noise violations on campus, reporting a crime, or to request personal escort to/from your vehicle.

Emergency: 911
(available 24 hours)

(734) 763-1131 or text 377911

Sexual Assault and Prevention Awareness Center Supportive services for survivors of sexual assault, intimate partner violence, stalking, sexual harassment, and gender-based harassment for current U-M students, faculty, and staff who have experienced harm, and for their supporters and loved ones. (734) 936-3333
(available 24 hours)
U-M Psychiatric Emergency Services Crisis Phone service Psychiatric evaluation, treatment recommendations, crisis intervention, screening for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization, and mental health referral information (734) 936-5900
(available 24 hours)
Poison Control Call if a person swallows or comes in contact with a substance that might be poisonous. Contact could be swallowing, splashed in the eyes or on the skin, breathed in, or injected 1-800-222-1222
(available 24 hours)
Student Legal Services (Enrolled Students only) Attorneys available to support U-M students experiencing legal issues related to the following categories: criminal, housing, family, consumer, and traffic. (734) 763-9920
(Monday through Friday, 9am - 5pm excluding lunch hour, 12pm - 1pm)

Personal Safety & Scams

  • Check out Safety Tips from DPSS to learn more about protecting yourself and your belongings both on campus and in general.
  • Sign up to receive text and voice message Emergency Alerts from the university.
  • Review the International Center’s Avoiding Scams page to learn about scams commonly impacting international students and scholars.