The U-M International Student/Scholar Health Insurance (IHI) plan covers routine exams and cleanings twice a year, and also covers emergency pain relief, fillings, and the extraction of impacted wisdom teeth. You can find more information on dental coverage in the “adult dental" section of your Member Guide, which one of your Insurance Plan Documents.
- Visit http://mibluedentist.com/ and use “Find a Dentist” to locate dentists who are part of your insurance plan’s network. Choose “Blue Dental” as your plan.
- You can also ask friends, classmates, department administrators or professors for recommendations, then check to see if the dentist is in the insurance plan’s network.
If you are under age 19, or have children under age 19, your plan provides more dental coverage, which is explained in the “pediatric dental” section of your Member Guide.
If you have a dental emergency, call your dentist for advice. You can also contact:
- The University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- Michigan Medicine Emergency Room - 24-hour emergency services
If you need a type of dental treatment that is not covered by your insurance plan, the University of Michigan School of Dentistry has lower- cost dental services for adults and children. Most of the services are provided by student dentists, supervised by faculty members. There may be a wait of several weeks for an appointment.
- Dental Faculty Associates (DFA) Clinic
Fees are similar to private dentists, but this clinic may be convenient for students, scholars, and their families since it is located in the School of Dentistry.