F-1 Employment with an International Organization


F-1 International Organization work permission is a type of employment authorization for F-1 students who have been offered an internship with a recognized international organization. Such organizations include the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Organization of American States, and others.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to qualify for International Organization employment authorization, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You have a written offer for an internship position offered by and within the scope of a recognized international organization as per 59 Stat. 669, International Organization Immunities Act, see 22 USC 288 for the list of organizations.
  • You are a full-time student in a degree program and you hold F-1 status sponsored by the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.


Applying for International Organization employment authorization is a two-step process. First, you must obtain an International Center recommendation in the form of a new I-20. Then, you must apply to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by filing Form I-765 for an Employment Authorization Document.

Make an appointment to meet with an International Student/Scholar Advisor. Bring the following documents to the appointment:

If you are eligible, you will be issued an updated I-20 with a recommendation for international organization employment. Please allow 1-2 weeks processing time.

Once you receive the I-20 recommending International Organization employment authorization, submit your application to USCIS, including the following documents:

  • A job offer letter from a recognized international organization
  • A letter from your academic advisor, stating the following: (a) that you are in good academic standing; (b) your anticipated completion of studies date; and (c) his or her recommendation that you accept this International Organization employment
  • A photocopy of your current I-20, paper or print-out of electronic Form I-94, and passport ID page(s)
  • Your unofficial transcript printed from Wolverine Access
  • I-765 form from www.uscis.gov (you will not submit this to the ISSA)

If you are eligible, International Center will issue an updated SEVIS I-20 with a recommendation for international organization employment. Processing an I-20 may take 1-2 weeks.
Once you receive the I-20 recommending International Organization employment authorization, you should be ready to submit the I-765 application to USCIS, containing the following items:

  • Completed Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization, with the following code in item 16: (c) (3) (ii)
  • Check or money order made payable to USCIS for the amount of the current I-765 fee (check www.uscis.gov)
  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Copy of your job offer letter from the International Organization
  • Photocopies of all of your I-20s from most recent to oldest,
  • Photocopy of paper or print-out of electronic Form I-94
  • Photocopy of passport identification page(s)
  • Photocopy of F-1 visa (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of your State ID/Driver’s License, or any other photo ID
  • Cover letter requesting expedite due to an urgent start date, if applicable

After preparation of the above materials, mail your application to the appropriate USCIS Service Center – refer to the I-765 instructions for the list of addresses. The USCIS processing time for your I-765 application may be 3-4 months. If approved by USCIS, you will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card granting you permission to work at the International Organization. Note the following:

  • You may not start the employment until you have received the EAD and the start date indicated on the EAD has been reached. You must stop employment by the EAD expiration date or by the date you finish your studies, whichever is earlier.
  • You must remain a full-time student and make full-time progress toward degree completion while working either part-time or full-time for the international organization.
  • Time spent working for an international organization does not count against your 12 months of optional practical training.
  • If you wish to continue working for the International Organization beyond the validity date of your EAD, you must reapply well in advance to International Center and USCIS again.


Please read Department of Homeland Security's FAQ on Internship with an international organization for F-1 Students.