Driver’s License

Foreign nationals in H-1B, TN, E-3 and O-1 status as well as their dependents are eligible for a Michigan driver’s license. Please refer to Getting a Driver’s License section of the IC website for more information.

Note that your driver’s license validity will generally not exceed the validity of your immigration status. Therefore, it is recommended that you apply for an extension of your immigration status, as early as possible, so as to avoid unnecessary complications when renewing your license.

Most Secretary of State offices, particularly those around Ann Arbor, are familiar with the documents international applicants must present when applying for their license. Many will also accept the formal, original USCIS Receipt Notice for extension petitions as proof of one’s on-going immigration status. Driver’s license extensions based on the Receipt Notice are normally limited to a maximum of one year.