To obtain an extension of your status while at the University of Michigan, the International Center in Ann Arbor must file a petition with USCIS. Alternatively, you may need other support documents to accommodate your travel to renew your status.

To file a petition or prepare the necessary document, our office must receive the standard Process Authorization Form from your department. We should receive this form as early as possible, ideally 6 months prior to the expiration date of your current status. Note that the 240-day rule applies to extension requests for individuals in H-1B, TN and O-1 (but not E-3) status.

If your spouse is in H-4 status and has an approved EAD (based on your green card application), it is particularly import to request an extension of your H-1B status as early as possible; extensions of your spouse’s EAD cannot be approved by USCIS until your H-1B extension has been approved (even though you may continue to work on the basis of the 240-day rule).