International Center Winter 2022 Orientation
Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Michigan (U-M)! International Center (IC) staff is excited to welcome you to campus!
See a list of comprehensive resources for new international students, parents, families, and virtual offerings below.
International Student Virtual Q&A Sessions
To help you prepare for your arrival to campus, the IC will offer two Question & Answer (Q&A) sessions hosted by current international students and they can answer questions you have about life at U-M and Ann Arbor! The events will be hosted on:
- Tuesday, December 21 from 1-2pm Eastern Time
- Wednesday, December 22 from 10-11am Eastern Time
To register, click here.
Please note that because the Q&A sessions are presented by students, immigration questions will not be addressed during these events.
Winter 2022 International Center Orientation Canvas Course
Once you have joined the International Center Winter Orientation Canvas course, you will be able to view previously recorded Peer-to-Peer Conversations (presentations by current international students on a number of topics) and additional workshop presentations/videos delivered by U-M departments. All of the topics in Canvas are designed to help you with your transition to living in Ann Arbor and beginning your studies at the University of Michigan. Below are some examples of the topics that might interest you:
- Academic Support/Cultural Transition
- How to use Canvas
- Communicating with academic advisors
- Cultural differences in the classroom
- Practical Matters:
- Banking & Budgeting
- Housing & setting up household utilities
- Transportation and Safety
- Driving in the U.S.
- Personal safety
- Health and Wellness
- International Insurance
- University Health Service
- Finding a job on campus
- U.S. Tax
- Getting Involved on campus & making friends
- Healthy relationships
Blog and Videos
Winter in Michigan Video
Wondering how to prepare for a Michigan winter? A current international student, Matt Wu, created a video with useful tips for surviving winter in Michigan. Matt covers topics such as what to wear, walking and driving in the snow/ice, fun things to do, and more!
Virtual Office Hours
The International Center will hold virtual office hours - staffed by a current international student - to answer general questions that are related to life in Ann Arbor and at University of Michigan. Virtual office hours will be held via Zoom.You may join as many as you like. You can also drop in or leave at any time during the office hours.
- Monday, January, 3, 2022: 10am-2pm
- Tuesday, January 4, 2022: 10am-2pm
- Wednesday, January 5, 2022: 10am-2pm
- Thursday, January 6, 2022: 10am-2pm
- Friday, January 7, 2022: 10am-2pm
In-Person Welcome Desk
The Welcome Desk will now be held virtually through Zoom. See “Virtual Office Hours” above for details about how to connect to one of our orientation peer advisors virtually.
- International Student Welcome Booklet
- Pre-Arrival Guide for New International Students
- Parents and Families
- Graduate Students with Children
- Ann Arbor Area Visitors Guide
If you have any questions, please contact the International Center at email@example.com.