International Center Winter 2024 Orientation
Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Michigan (U-M)! International Center (IC) staff is excited to welcome you to campus!
See a list of comprehensive resources for new international students, parents, families, and virtual offerings below.
To help you prepare for your arrival to campus, the IC will offer a virtual Pre-Departure Orientation session on Thursday, December 14 from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Eastern Time. International Center staff will share valuable information about U-M campus life, immigration, and resources. This event will be recorded. You can find more information about the Pre-Departure Orientation and register for the event here.
Winter 2024 International Center Orientation Canvas Course
Once you have joined the International Center Winter Orientation Canvas course, you will be able to view previously recorded Peer-to-Peer Conversations (presentations by current international students on a number of topics) and additional workshop presentations/videos delivered by U-M departments.
All of the topics in Canvas are designed to help you with your transition to living in Ann Arbor and beginning your studies at the University of Michigan. Below are some examples of the topics that might interest you:
- Academic Support/Cultural Transition
- How to use Canvas & Wolverine Access
- Communicating with Academic Advisors
- Cultural differences in the classroom
- Making the Most of Your GSI/GSRA
- Practical Matters:
- Banking & Budgeting
- Shopping in Ann Arbor
- Finding an On-Campus Job
- Transportation and Safety:
- Transportation in Ann Arbor
- Getting a Driver's License & Buying a Car
- Personal safety
- Health & Wellbeing at U-M
- Getting Involved on campus & making friends
- Healthy Relationships & Dating in the U.S.
- Things to do in Ann Arbor
Blog and Videos
Winter in Michigan Video
Wondering how to prepare for a Michigan winter? A former UM international student, Matt Wu, created a video with useful tips for surviving winter in Michigan. Matt covers topics such as what to wear, walking and driving in the snow/ice, fun things to do, and more!
The IC Welcome Desk will be available outside of the office January 8-12th. Stop by to speak with an International Center Student Council member and get your questions about life at U-M answered!
Exact times will be announced via Canvas.
The IC will plan events in January for new international students. These events will also be listed on the IC calendar and shared via email. More information to be added soon.
- U-M Library Basics
- How to Use the UM International Health Insurance Plan
- University Health Service (UHS) Information Session for International Students
- Life in Ann Arbor website
- Pre-Arrival Guide for New International Students
- Parents and Families
- Graduate Students with Children
- Ann Arbor Area Visitors Guide
If you have any questions, please contact the International Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.