Travel with a Pending Green Card Application

Individuals in H-1B or H-4 status may travel internationally on the basis of their H-documents while their employment-based green card application is pending without abandoning their green card application. If possible, re-entering the U.S. on the basis of one’s H-visa is recommended over using Advance Parole to enter the U.S. as H-status holders are better protected should there be an unexpected complication with the green card application. People who enter the U.S. on the basis of Advance Parole may continue to work on the basis of their valid and approved H-1B approval or on the basis of their EAD. Individuals in different immigration statuses, such as E-3, H-1B1, J-1, TN may be restricted from traveling internationally while they have a pending green card application, unless they also hold a valid Advance Parole document.