The following is a list of current coverage highlights and rates. For complete information on this insurance plan, refer to:
- 2017 - 2018 University of Michigan International Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2017 - 2018 Plan Design and Benefits Summary (International)
Detailed description of benefits and exclusions.
- 2017 - 2018 Plan Guide (International)
General information about how the plan works.
- On Call Description of Services 2017 - 2018
Detailed information about the On Call International travel assistance coverage (medical evacuation, repatriation, visit by family member or friend if you are hospitalized, etc.) that is included in the IHI plan.
See the 2017 - 2018 University of Michigan International Summary of Benefits and Coverage for more details about the deductible, co-pays and co-insurance, in and out of network health care providers, and the out of pocket maximum.
$100 annual deductible
The annual deductible is what you must pay each policy year (September 1 – August 31) before insurance starts to cover costs. The annual deductible does not apply to some services, such as immunizations, emergency room visits, routine physical exams, and prescription drugs.
Co-pays for office visits and hospital admissions
A co-pay is what you pay, then insurance covers the rest. Co-pay examples: Office visit or walk-in or urgent care clinic: $20; Emergency Room: $75 (waived if admitted); Hospital Room/Board/Miscellaneous Expense: $150 (per hospital admission)
Co-insurance for most other services
Co-insurance is the percentage that you pay. For most in-network services, you will pay 10% and the insurance company will pay 90%.
University Health Service
Students will save money by getting medical care at University Health Service during terms when they are enrolled in classes. Many UHS services are free for enrolled students, so it will not be necessary to pay the deductible, co-pay or co-insurance.
In-Network Medical Care (also called “preferred care”)
If you are not an enrolled student, do not want to receive health care at UHS, or need health care that UHS cannot provide, you will save money by going to a doctor or hospital in the Aetna Network, such as the University of Michigan Health System. You can find other doctors and hospitals in the network on the Aetna web site.
Out of network Medical care
Your health insurance plan will also cover care if you go to a doctor or hospital not in the Aetna Network, but this option will be the most expensive for you.
Out of pocket maximum
Once you have paid the “out of pocket maximum”, you will not have to pay co-pays or co-insurance for the rest of that policy year. A policy year is September 1 through August 31. The out-of pocket maximum for this plan is Individual: $3,500 / Family $7,000 per policy year.
- Routine/preventive care – including immunizations
- 90% coverage for prescription drugs (excludes acne medications).
- Pregnancy and childbirth are covered.
- Both inpatient and outpatient coverage (for example: hospital room and board, physician's fees, laboratory test, x-rays, ambulance, etc.)
- Mental health problems and drug or alcohol abuse
- Routine eye exam in-network once per policy year for $20 co-pay
- Your insurance will also cover a routine eye exam at University Health Service for a $20 co-pay. Visit UHS Eye Clinic for clinic hours and information about the eye exam.
- Tuberculosis (TB) screening: To find out if you need to be tested for TB, or to schedule an appointment, visit UHS International Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening.
- Medical evacuation and repatriation coverage
The 2017 - 2018 University of Michigan International Summary of Benefits and Coverage will tell you whether the annual deductible, a co-pay, or co-insurance applies to these services.
Your monthly insurance bill can be seen at Wolverine Access >Student Business >Campus Finances >Account Inquiry. You will not receive a paper bill in the mail. Charges cannot be pro-rated. This means that if you have this insurance for any part of the month, you will be charged for the entire month.
Insurance rates change every year on September 1. Rates usually increase; a decrease is rare. The current rates are listed below.
Insurance Premiums for 9/1/2016 - 8/31/2017
|Student/Scholar and One Dependent||$245.00|
|Student/Scholar and Two or More Dependents||$364.75|
Insurance Premiums for 9/1/2017 - 8/31/2018
|Student/Scholar and One Dependent||$305.33|
|Student/Scholar and Two or More Dependents||$455.25|